Often eaten as a dip with khubz or pita bread, it is sometimes added to other dishes.Perfect way to enjoy eggplant.
- 2 medium eggplants, about 1-1/2 pounds total
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 olives for garnish
- Warmed chunks of pita bread for serving
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Prick eggplants with a fork. Arrange on non-stick cooking sheet and bake until tender and collapsed, 30 to 40 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh. Place flesh in a food processor with a metal blade and process until smooth. If you prefer to mash by hand, use a fork or potato masher.
- Add lemon juice, tahini, garlic and salt and pepper to taste and process (or mash) until well blended. Slowly add 3 tablespoons olive oil until mixture is creamy.
- Chill for at least two hours.
- Serve in a shallow bowl. Drizzle olive oil over top, sprinkle with parsley and garnish with olives